Day 1: Cusco – Paucartambo Reservation of the Manu Biosphere
We will leave Cusco early in the morning. By noon we visit the ruins of Ninamarca, commonly known as “Chullpas”. We continue the trip to Paucartambo, a picturesque village, colonial and then stop at the step of “Acjanacu” which marks the beginning of the Cultural Zone of Manu. We will be greeted by a veil of clouds from the cloud forest park that provide permanent moisture, making it the perfect habitat for epiphytic plants such as bromeliads. This varied and fascinating world is home of the Cock of the Rock, Spectacled Bear, Orchids and Cyatheales (of the oldest plants), ferns and lichens. This cloud forest is located between 2000m / 6561ft and 3500m / 11482ft above sea level and at least 50% of the plants that can be found here are endemic. We will have our lunch on the way with a view of the place, and then continue to our night stay; “Orchids of San Pedro Lodge”.
Day 2: Biosphere Reserve Manu
Today we get up early to observe the Cock of the Rock (rupicola peruviana), Peru’s national bird from a platform. Males have a striking red-orange, and come together, even in a dozen, in a kind of exhibition arranged for the purpose of mating in a place called Lek. The males display their crest, showing off and posturing for the females. Females, always in smaller numbers, observe males and selected the best conditioned. After breakfast we continue in a vehicle on a narrow road between waterfalls and canyons toward the town of Pilcopata. Here you have the option to do some river rafting (* 1). Continue to the Port Atalaya where we will have lunch and then board our boat with outboard by the Rio Alto Madre de Dios on a journey of 50 minutes to the private reserve of “Erika”, a comfortable and rustic lodge where we some interesting hiking path through this area between high and low jungle offers. Overnight in the lodge Erika.
(* 1) Optional: River Rafting
We can make the final arrangements for river rafting 3 hours by Kosñipata river, where we give a dip and enjoy the view of the Canyon Koñeq. We continue along the river Alto Madre de Dios to the lodge Erika
Day 3: Biosphere Reserve Manu
The Erika lodge is located in a transitional area between high and lowland forest (500m / 1640ft to 1150m / 3772ft) (* 2). After breakfast the guide will give an explanation of the different habitats, altitudes and the great diversity of wildlife that can be found around the lodge. So after breakfast we start the walk, during which the guide will talk about insects, medicinal plants, trees, reptiles, mammals, etc.
We will have lunch and then take the boat on a journey of 5 minutes walk for another 30 watching and talking about the interesting flora. Machuwasi reach the lake where, with the aid of a telescope, observe herons, toucans, woodpeckers, bienteveos, cardinals, etc. Later we will make a small night walk to see American bull frogs, toads, tree frogs and a variety of other insects.
(* 2) New !!! Optional: Canopy Zip
In the lodge Erika, our guests will move from tree to tree and platform to platform using pulleys on horizontal cable while passing through the treetops of the rainforest canopy. Expert guides will assist along different points in this thrilling adventure, also will count what is happening around you until you do the rappel descent.
Day 4: Biosphere Reserve Manu
We started very early in the morning and take a short hike to see some animals, after breakfast we will have time to perform some activities this agreement passengers and guides, will also have some free time. Early afternoon devote our time to walk in search of wildlife in this Jungle: Possibility of a short night walk.
* 2 Optional: New! Canopy tour: In the lodge Erika, our guests will move from tree to tree and platform to platform using pulleys on horizontal cable while passing through the treetops of the rainforest canopy. Expert guides will assist along different points in this thrilling adventure, also will count what is happening around you until you do the rappel descent.
Day 5: Manu – Cusco
This day wake up very early to board the boat that will take us to the “Collpa” clay, where many bird species like the Blue headed Macaw and ojiblanca parrot perch to feed on the minerals and other supplements that are part of their diet.
Erika return to the lodge for breakfast, and immediately board our boat and heading to the Port Atalaya, where we take a bus that will take us back to Cusco. We will have lunch on the way and reach the city late at night.
- Private Specialized bilingual guide.
- 1 night at the lodge Orchids of San Pedro.
- 3 nights at the lodge Erika.
- Meals indicated in the itinerary (B: Breakfast, L: Lunch, D: Dinner)
- First aid box.
- River and land transport.
- River rafting equipment.
- Rafting captain and required equipment.
- Canopy Zip specialized for required equipment and guide.
- As an additional service we offer a safe for luggage at the headquarters of Cusco
- Overnight in Cusco.
- Breakfast and water for the first day.
- Dinner on the last day.
- Beverages such as sodas and beer.
- Expenses not mentioned.
- Flights to and from their country of origin.
- Domestic Flights:
What to Bring
- Long-sleeved shirt and long pants
- Hot packs (for morning fog on the river)
- Water bottle or canteen
- Trekking sandals, swimwear, towel and a backpack
- Mosquito repellent DEET 50%
- sunscreen, sunglasses
- Flashlight with extra battery
- Plastic bags
- Hat or cap
- Extra money to buy drinks
- Binocular is very important, the best are (Vortex, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon, Bushnell) 8×20, 8×32, 10×25, 10×40, 10×42
- Rain poncho
- camera with extra battery